Thursday, July 21, 2011

DIY custom art

 I love art. The only problem is it can get expensive. Especially if there is something you have in mind. I like the things I hang on my wall to mean something and to be enjoyed by everyone living in the space. That is why I decided to make my son's art for his room. I'm not much of an artist so I got crafty. I took one of my son's favorite books "The Very Hungry Caterpillar," and cut it up! Yes I know...cutting a book can be scary but I had more then one copy :) I used scrapbooking tape to adhere it to a piece of black 8 x 10 inch cardstock and framed it.


 I got my frames 40% off at Joanns.
 I will eventually hang these on the wall but the kiddos were sleeping so I'll have to do it later :)
 You can frame an entire story or do a collage of a bunch of different books that match your kid's or even your bedroom or family room.
I think eventually I'll have a play room and I'm planning on doing a bunch of different books as art.

1 comment:

Carrie Snider said...

That is such a great idea! I love that book. It is so colorful and perfect for a little boy's room. :) Cutting up a book is definitely cheaper than buying lots of art prints. I might steal your idea with one of my own boys' favorite books.