Sunday, October 2, 2011

DIY kid puzzle

I saw this idea on pinterest. I thought it would be really easy to do. I was wrong. It took me a lot longer then I thought. BUT if you learn from my mistakes you will be able to make it really easily. This project cost me about $1.00 per puzzle.

You will need:
  • large Popcicle sticks
  • photo or clip art of your choice
  • modge podge
  • exacto knife (craft knife)
  • sponge brush
  • cutting mat (cardboard)

DO NOT try to cut the photo before attaching it to the Popsicle sticks. DO NOT use too much modge podge over the popcile sticks. It makes them bleed onto the picture.

The right way to it is to get your photo printed. Then you need to make sure it will fit onto your Popsicle sticks. If it doesn't then you will need to trim it. Brush modge podge onto the back of your picture and place it onto your Popsicle sticks. Make sure your Popsicle sticks are right up against each other. It helps to put some tape on the very edge of each side to hold them together just while you are sticking the picture to the sticks and letting it dry. After you put the picture on the Popsicle sticks you will want to brush a thin layer of modge podge onto the top. It helps to keep all the edges down. Let it dry. Then flip over the Popsicle sticks and use an exacto knife to cut between the Popsicle sticks. You don't have to use colored Popsicle sticks but they were 100 for $1.79 and I thought they were cute.

I will be making some drawstring bags for these. I'm excited to have something I can throw into my diaper bag to keep my three-year-old busy at appointments and church.

Please leave me a comment if you have any questions.

1 comment:

Breanna said...

oh, I am totally doing this! SUCH a cute idea!