Monday, October 31, 2011

Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing

I love pumpkins. I love the way they look and taste and all the fun things we get to do with them this time of the year. I was looking in my pantry and the 6 jars of pumpkin I had were right there in my face. I decided to look online to see if I could find a recipe that I wanted to try. I couldn't find anything that looked really good that was easy and that my whole family would like. So I got creative and made up my own recipe.
This is my cute little pumpkin.

Pumpkin Cupcakes
Preheat oven to 325degrees
1 Yellow cake mix (use applesauce instead of oil and then add the rest of the ingredients on the box)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp all spice
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 15 oz can of pumpkin
mix everything together until well blended. Make sure you scrape the sides of the bowl to get everything mixed in properly.

Fill cupcake wrappers almost to the top with the batter. They won't rise as high as regular cake so you need to make them pretty full to get a nice dome top on the cupcakes.

Bake for 25 minutes. Be sure to check to see the inside of the cupcakes are done with a toothpick. Place on a wire rack to cool.

Cream Cheese frosting
1 1/2 8oz fat free cream cheese (softened)
1 cup butter (softened)
3 cups sifted confectioners sugar
1 tsp Vanilla extract

Cream butter, cream cheese and vanilla extract until smooth. Add sifted confectioners sugar 1/2 cup at a time so it doesn't explode in your face. Once everything is mixed in well and you've scrapped the sides of the bowl to get everything blended turn the mixer on medium speed for 5 minutes. It will whip it and give it a nice consistency.

Once your cupcakes are cool you can add your icing. I just spooned mine on but you can pipe it through a cake decorating bag if you would like. Keep refrigerated. Give them a try and let me know what you think. They are super moist and delicious.

I wanted to take a picture of the cupcakes but they didn't last long enough. I'll take a picture as soon as I make another batch.

No comments: