Sunday, October 23, 2011

DIY: Up-cycle Halloween Costume

I got this idea from pinterest. My husband and I just made a few changes of our own. This costume didn't cost us a thing. We only used things that we had at home. My three year old son is so excited! It was hard to get a picture because he was running around all over the place.


You will need:
  • Cardboard
  • Two plastic bottles
  • Duct Tape
  • Orange Tissue paper
  • 2in non-rolling elastic
  • screws
  • Fuses
  • Metallic Metal spray paint
  • An adorable 3 year old
  • Hot glue gun
  • Scissors
  • crafting knife and mat
  • Rubber Cement
It really didn't take us very much time. First we spray painted the cardboard and the water bottles. Then we made the vent out of cardboard. I just traced a circle and then drew lines every 1/4 inch and cut part of the cardboard out. I spray painted the vent as well when I was finished. Cut out the bottom of both bottles after they are painted. Next we used screws to attach the vent to the water bottles. The water bottles were then hot glued to the cardboard wings. I used rubber cement to add the tissue paper flames. We hot glued the fuses onto the cardboard vent. We kept the bottom of the bottles and used them as embellishments on the wings. The hose at the top is just duct tape. Attach the elastic to the back of the wings in an X pattern.

Even if you have a Halloween costume picked out for your kiddo this is a great fun project you can do for your kiddos. He is so excited to play with it again. The best part is we didn't have to pay anything for it and it is a good way to up-cycle some things you would have just thrown away.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog
and wished to say that I've really enjoyed surfing around your blog posts. In any case I'll be
subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you write again
soon!

Also visit my blog post :: nl.timopedia.eu